Experiences with baby signing??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Experiences with baby signing??

Post  kat on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 am

So we have the Signing Times DVDs and have watched them together a few times...I find myself forgetting the signs so I think we'll have to practice a bit more, BUT anyway have you had positive experiences signing with your baby? Was it hard? Useful? What age did you start? How often do you use the signs etc?

Jake has just started to wave so if I do anything with my hands sign wise, he either claps or waves in response...it's very cute!!
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Love the signing - it works!

Post  knitterista on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am

We had a baby book when Flynn was a wee baby that was all signing. He liked it mostly to look at the other babies. But, we were able to use the simple words throughout conversation with him his first year. Just two weeks ago, he started using one of them...the one we use all the time when we feed him. It's the sign for "More". He actually, on his own, used the sign when he wanted more veggie straws...one of his treats. Now he does it all the time and feeds his addiction for Cheerios. We were completely floored when he did it and are so proud of him that he uses it to communicate with us. He's proud of himself too.

We are going to look at getting some videos/books from the library so we can learn more useful words so he can tell us what he needs...like hungry or whatever.

We have a friend who has a 1 1/2 year old that knows 150 sign words...amazing. I don't know that we are so dedicated to go that far, but it definately works for our baby and I recommend it highly!
knitterista

View user profile http://www.knitterista.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Experiences with baby signing??

Post  kat on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:16 pm

yeah I'm not sure we are that dedicated either and darin keeps telling me he thinks the signs are silly like the one for cereal - I mean it does look like a snake across your chin.!!

I bet Flynnie was excited when he discovered all the treats he could get by signing 'more' - smart boy! Can't wait to meet him!

Jake loves dogs so I've been signing dog to him every time we see a dog etc, but he's so wrapped up in bye bye at the moment that everything turns to bye bye or clapping.
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Oh that Daren

Post  knitterista on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:03 am

He just needs to get over it...if JD can do it, so can D. Ha ha! The sign we use for cereal is an "O", like for Cheerios. It's not so cheesy. Just make an "O" shape with your hand...easy. The dog sign will be good for Jake too. The benefit of them being able to communicate with you outweighs everything else. Just pick two or three main words that you would use with him in everyday conversation and go from there. That way you won't have to remember them all either.
knitterista

View user profile http://www.knitterista.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wongtown on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:40 am

Even though Maia can talk, she still rubs her chest whenever she says "pleeeeeeeeeeease". It's pretty cute! We really liked the signing and plan to do it with Cassie too Smile We used the My Baby Can Talk dvds... corny, but engaging.
wongtown

View user profile Http://www.greatwhitewong.com/sassystitchess

Back to top Go down

Post  studiotamar on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:30 am

Friends got us a baby signing DVD/book set and I was really excited about it, especially because in their note they mentioned how helpful it had been to them. So far, though, not much signing going on around here - I think it's because the first two signs they recommend starting with are a little tricky for me to do in context. The sign for "nurse" looks so much like all the other types of waves Noodle makes, plus most of the time, he just latches right on and isn't looking at my hand anyway! Then, the sign for "more" requires both hands and I am always holding something with the other. So I am never consistent enough with it, I'm afraid. On the other hand, Noodle isn't waving hello/goodbye consistently yet, so maybe the other signs will come when that clicks in. He just seems to be such a verbal baby, babbling up a storm, I feel like it would be so empowering for him to be able to sign!
studiotamar

View user profile http://www.studiotamar.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top