8 hour car ride w/ 1 year old

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8 hour car ride w/ 1 year old

Post  pixiepurls on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:42 am

We will be driving 8 hours to get to BG's first birthday party with all her family. Any idea's on how to keep her happy? I've been researching DVD players for cars but can't find any cheap ways to fix it to the back of the seat? Ideas? I found a cute pink sony dvd player for $150 about 8", but I need a way to have her watch it and not touch it as she's too young to hold it.

pixiepurls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 8 hour car ride w/ 1 year old

Post  amylou on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:42 am

My brother fastened a strap of some sort out of that really wide velcro and fastened his DVD player to the center console between the two front seats. The portable sits there and both of his kids can watch it at the same time. It would probably depend on your car, how much room on that center thing though, and whether she could even see it from her seat. Just an idea..
amylou

View user profile http://www.murpmayhem.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kat on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Wow - we all have this ahead of us!! Right now we don't own a car (because you don't need one in Tokyo), so I'll be interested to see how Jake does with long drives - eight hours is long!!!! Even I'd be unhappy during an eight hour drive I think. Jake will watch Baby Einstein for about 30 minutes in his jumper if I need to do some cooking, but that's nothing like eight hours. Could you start the trip later in the day or near bedtime so that she would sleep??
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  floatingworld on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 am

The longest trip we've done is about 4 hours, so nothing like 8, but we timed it to coincide with sleep time, and then I had a lot of toys in the front seat, and just passed them back one at a time. CDs with songs are good - they don't even have to be children's songs, just ones that you like and can sing along to. And you could research some places before you go to stop for play / snack breaks - will the weather be warm enough to stop in parks and playgrounds?
The DVD player sounds like a good idea too.
Maybe you can report back on how it went? Good luck!!!
floatingworld

View user profile http://floatingworld.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  putyourflareon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:56 pm

pixiepurls wrote:We will be driving 8 hours to get to BG's first birthday party with all her family. Any idea's on how to keep her happy? I've been researching DVD players for cars but can't find any cheap ways to fix it to the back of the seat? Ideas? I found a cute pink sony dvd player for $150 about 8", but I need a way to have her watch it and not touch it as she's too young to hold it.

I always buy Max a new toy for long trips. I don't show it to him until we're on the trip and only at a meltdown moment. It really distracts him and gets him to forget about what he's upset about. We're leaving for a car trip tomorrow and I bought him a VTech toy that sings and has buttons on it that is age appropriate for him. I also picked up a few new books to tuck in my bag to read to him. Healthy snacks are good distraction too. Carrot sticks cut small. Grapes. Cheese. Also, if you are in a car, a hand puppet could be fun! We keep one in the glove compartment and have used it many times to help keep the tears at bay.
putyourflareon

View user profile http://www.putyourflareon.blogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top