Getting BF baby to take bottle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Getting BF baby to take bottle

Post  amylou on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:19 am

I was wondering if anyone had ideas on getting my 6wk old to take a bottle. She has been exclusively BF until this last week. She will take a bottle for the first couple minutes but sort of plays with it in between sucking on it and doesn't really get much. Then she will get mad and not want it at all. We have the Adiri bottles which seem to be the best ones, cause she gags on the others. She did take some bottles from her Grandma this weekend which is encouraging, but how long does it typically take for them to "get" this skill down? Is there something else we should try doing? I am not stopping BF'ing by any means, but just want to have DH give her a bottle every now and then, and at some point I will be working too...
amylou

View user profile http://www.murpmayhem.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Getting BF baby to take bottle

Post  metalmom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:53 pm

Hmm, I started both my babies on bottles of breast milk when they were only like a week old, so it was never a problem. I guess if your baby's hungry enough, and if you don't give up and continue to offer the bottle as often as you can, she should take it eventually. Also, if someone else like your mom or husband offers the bottle instead of you (since you=nursing), it might work better than if you do it.

Good luck!
metalmom

View user profile http://www.peachtree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kat on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 pm

Can't blame her really - I mean once you've had warm boob who would want a bottle! I remember being really nervous when we introduced the bottle to Jake at about five weeks, but he didn't have any problems switching back and forth between bottle and breast. I never gave him the bottle though - it was always someone else. I heard Adiri are good too, and it seems like you've tried other nipples too, so I'm not sure. I guess you can just keep trying and maybe you shouldn't be in the room when the bottle is being given - those babes can smell you from a mile away!! Once she does take the bottle though try to give her one at least a couple of times a week so she doesn't 'forget'.
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  metalmom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 pm

It's true, they do "forget"! When we were living in Tokyo I'd give Lucy a bottle at least once a week while we were out and about, or when I'd leave her with the babysitter (on Stitch n Bitch nights), but with Lily she was really good in the beginning when I'd have Paul give her a bottle so I could nap, but there was a point a couple of months ago where she didn't get a bottle for at least a month, and now she no longer takes it. It also happened around the same time her teeth started popping through, so that may have something to do with it -mostly because she likes to chew the nipple (thankfully, she doesn't chew mine!).
metalmom

View user profile http://www.peachtree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wongtown on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:13 am

i went through this with my first! She was off the bottle for a couple of months and I bought every nipple in existence to get her back on. She finally took to the Gerber Nuk nipple--it's got a flat shape.
wongtown

View user profile Http://www.greatwhitewong.com/sassystitchess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top