Naptime woes with Toddler

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Naptime woes with Toddler

Post  wongtown on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:47 am

Does anyone else out there have a two year old in a big bed? Just wondering how you keep your kid in that thing for naps???? It's been somewhat of a challenge this month. No nap = naughty behavior around here and I'd like to keep that to a minimum. Any ideas that don't include bribery? Lollipops have been successful, but I wonder if i might be able to inspire self motivation to sleep...
wongtown

View user profile Http://www.greatwhitewong.com/sassystitchess

Back to top Go down

Re: Naptime woes with Toddler

Post  metalmom on Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:43 pm

I watched an episode of Supernanny where the mom was instructed to sit by the side of the bed with her head down (ie. no eye contact with the kid) and whenever the kid got out of bed the mom would pick him up and put him right back into bed, without saying a word. This would happen like 20 times in a row the first time, then fewer and fewer times as time went on. I tried that when Lucy was around 2 1/2 and she was making the move from our bed to her own toddler one, and it worked pretty well. The trick is not to make eye contact and not to say anything because any kind of reaction from you is what they're looking for - eventually they should give up and go to sleep. Once they fall asleep with you there by their side a couple of times, then you should just be able to put them down (maybe read a couple of stories) then leave the room while they're still awake and they'll fall asleep on their own.

Good luck!
metalmom

View user profile http://www.peachtree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wongtown on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:57 am

I saw it too! Before I even had kids... it broke my heart, but it did seem to work. Since I wrote this, Maia has decided to sleep in a different bed (a larger twin rather than a toddler bed). Naptime is still a struggle, but if she's giving me a hard time, I just throw her in the stroller and walk for 15 mins till she's asleep. Thanks for the reminder!
wongtown

View user profile Http://www.greatwhitewong.com/sassystitchess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top