Most moms give up on breastfeeding by the time baby reaches six months old (article and my thoughts)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Most moms give up on breastfeeding by the time baby reaches six months old (article and my thoughts)

Post  kat on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:19 pm

There is an interesting article and even more interesting discussion going on about breastfeeding VS formula at the New York times. What do you think?? Share opinions??

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/11/most-moms-give-up-on-breast-feeding/

I had pretty much no opinion with regards to breastfeeding VS formula prior to Jake's birth. For the record my mother did not nurse any of her four children and when I look in my baby book, it's kind of scary the stuff that I was given to eat in the first six months of life!! But hey, I think I seem fine. I chose to breastfeed because it just seemed easier and more natural. We took a breastfeeding class with a great lactation consultant before Jake was born and that was a great decision because often times BF is much harder and more painful in the beginning than most people imagine. I just had no idea how demanding nursing a newborn really is in the beginning and at times resented having to do it SO often like every two or three hours - how nuts is that! BUT after we got past the first 8 to 12 weeks things got SO much better. I recommend every new mother to have the phone number of a lactation consultant in her mobile when your baby is born. Support is just so necessary for a good start (if that's the road you choose of course).

The article discusses mostly the situation in the US and how many mothers give up because they return to work and don't have the support to continue breastfeeding. I am pro-choice on most matters in this world, so whatever works for someone's family is always the best decision regardless. Also being a mother is difficult, so no-one needs any extra pressure from any type of group. However I do wish that society was set up to offer the support to working mothers that do choose to continue to breastfeed or hey, even better, give working mothers some type of financially supported maternity leave for a WHOLE year - wouldn't that be awesome. Actually I'm pretty impressed with Japan as the government does provide some amount of financial support for working mothers right through until your child's first birthday. I took six months off work and received 2/3 of my salary for four weeks before J's due date and for eight weeks after he was born and then I received 30% of my salary until I returned to work when J was six months old and then you receive 20% of your salary (on top of your pay) for every month until your babe turns one. The local government also gives you an extra $100 every month after your baby is born until they go to school. That's not bad.

I have been breastfeeding for nearly 10 months now and plan to continue for as long as it works for us. To be honest, I am much more attached to BF than I ever thought possible. I think it is because Jake and I are separated during the day and I find BF a great way to connect as soon as I get home. I actually get teary at the thought of weaning. Who wouldda thought?!!! - certainly not me!
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Most moms give up on breastfeeding by the time baby reaches six months old (article and my thoughts)

Post  kat on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:26 pm

BTW, did you see the interview with a female New York senator (?) on the Colbert Report recently where Stephen pulls out a breast pump and starts using it??? Oh man I couldn't stop laughing - that's hilarious stuff and something that every pumping mama should see!!! If I find out the deets, I'll post!!
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Most moms give up on breastfeeding by the time baby reaches six months old (article and my thoughts)

Post  amylou on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:34 am

I finally had a chance to read thisÖI think there has definitely been a shift in how breastfeeding is perceived especially in the last few years. I was not breastfed and neither was my husband, and when I asked my mom and mother in law about it, they just said that back then there really wasnít any education on it. When we were born the nurse just asked you if you wanted the baby to have formula and that was pretty much it. Now there is so much education out there, it really helps. I agree though too it is really underestimated how tough it is at first. You are feeding so often, youíre sore, your body is recovering from birth- it really is not easy. My milk didnít come in for 5 days and I really felt frustrated, but now I feel lucky that I was well educated on how important it is and what to expect, because it helped me stick with it and I didnít just give up and formula feed her. My husband asked me what I thought of people who donít breastfeed, and I told him that I really do feel it is everyoneís choice of course, but if asked for my opinion would stress how great it can be. I now seriously love feeding my daughter-I feel so bonded to her because we have shared this time together, I love looking at her, at stroking her head- it is just a really great thing. That is what I didnít really expect I guess- I knew how good it would be for her physically but didnít expect all of the emotion that comes with it too.

Most moms here do have to return to work too soon. There really isnít much support of maternity leave here in the states. By law you get 12 weeks time off, but they donít have to pay you for that 12 weeks and most do not. It is obvious that the US is well behind other countries when it comes to this and it is frustrating. I say do it for as long as you possibly can and know youíve done your bestÖ
amylou

View user profile http://www.murpmayhem.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top