First choking scare....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First choking scare....

Post  kat on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 pm

Man what a day yesterday was.....it was a Sunday and it was actually really nice and cool and also a friend from Australia came and visited. That was the good part.

While we were out drinking - I only had one small beer - I was holding Jake and I gave him a baby senbei (cracker) - they come in twos in little plastic individual packs. Anyway all was fine and he was chomping away and next thing I know, Jake is red in the face, crying/screaming, choking and gagging. Shit. So I immediately turned him onto his tummy and started hitting the top of his back just like they showed us at the baby CPR/emergency class...still choking. So I put my finger in his mouth...nothing but then bits of the senbei come out and it's all kind foamy. Shit. So our aussie friend saw something in his mouth and out comes a bit of the plastic senbei packet. I had put the packet back in my bag, but obviously a bit of the bag had remained on the table in front of us...totally didn't notice.

Anyway J is fine, but we (both darin and I) were totally shaken up. Jake was quite distraught as you probably would be gagging on a piece of plastic for the first time. So scary. I then breastfed him to calm him down.

Then we get home and he's tired but I give him a quick bath. I usually just fill our tub with like 20cm of water and he sits and plays with his toys and I wash him, but lately he's been wanting to stand up in the tub a lot. I have a non-slip mat in the bottom of the tub to make it less slippery. The standing up is mostly fine except that now when he tries to do it - he wants to have a toy in each hand at the same time - not conducive with newly standing wobbly baby. Anyway so yesterday he tries to stand, I'm watching all the while and in like a milisecond, he slips and I watch him go down - he didn't hit his head but his whole head went under the water (which is ok since he's taking swimming lessons, but he was shocked by the fall) and I think he drank some of the water and I could see his eyes open and scared under the water. Of course I immediately swooped and picked him out of the water. Again he was fine...me not doing so good by this point.

I put him to bed and I felt so nervous I checked on him a couple of times...like 'get down and put my hand on his chest to check his breathing' type of checking (which I normally don't do). Of course he's fine, but it makes me nervous about what is to come......

Being a parent is so nervewracking!!
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Re: First choking scare....

Post  metalmom on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 pm

The exact same thing happened to Lily yesterday too! Once she started crawling (just about a week ago) I had to go through all of Lucy's toys to make sure there weren't any small ones that Lily could choke on. I thought I got everything, but didn't realize that stickers were choking hazards too. I guess Lucy had dropped a small, plastic one (about the size of a nickel), and Lily had popped it into her mouth while crawling around. Then a few minutes later while she was eating Cheerios she started choking - red face, watery eyes, etc.. I fished out a couple of soggy Cheerios but couldn't figure out what she was still choking on. Finally, I found the sticker. I, too, nursed her right away to calm her down (that's such a powerful tool we moms have, eh?). Poor Lucy felt so bad and kept apologizing. I told her it was not her fault but that we should both be more careful about what we leave lying around.
metalmom

View user profile http://www.peachtree.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amylou on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:15 am

That's so scary for both of you! I am glad that everyone is ok (scared mums and dads included!)- good to know that infant cpr and first aid eh?
amylou

View user profile http://www.murpmayhem.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dumplingrrl on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 am

Scary! I know exactly what you're talking about with the baby sembei packaging. The Mr. bought some for Mari when he came here and she loves them, but even more, she loves the packaging. They're really easy to tear and the crinkly sounds makes them soo attractive to babies!

I'm glad both babes are alright. If I were you I would have needed to nurse a beer to calm down my own nerves! These babies sure like to test mom's limits. Mari's the same way and I have had to fish many a stray object from her jaws. At least now she thinks it's a game and will catch my eye and chew the object in a 'look at this!' sort of way. She thinks it's hilarious to bite my finger (HARD) while I fish stuff out of her mouth.
dumplingrrl

View user profile http://pinngurl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top