Baby friendly recipes - let's share!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby friendly recipes - let's share!

Post  kat on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:17 am

I thought it'd be a great idea to share our favourite recipes so we can avoid getting into an early food rut!!

I'll start by sharing Pinn's recipe for a simple dahl (she posted it in another topic). I made this a couple of day's ago and at first J spat it out, but I realized it was because it was kind of hot (J seems to like his food pretty much cold). I didn't have any pumpkin on hand so I added some sweet potato instead and I also added some garlic and black pepper. This could totally be a family meal - yum!

Next up I'm going to share a chicken patty recipe with shredded carrot and apple - I'll post it later as the recipe is at home. J LOVES these and so do we - another great option for an entire family meal. Great to freeze and makes a perfect finger food.

Here's a really nice dhal recipe for babies:

You'll need:
pumpkin
onion
red lentil
cumin
cinnamon

Chop up some onions and cook them in a wee bit of olive oil till transparent. Add a handful of red lentils and water and cook until the lentils are transparent (add more water if it looks too dry) add some grated pumpkin and a dash of cumin powder. You can add a bit of cinnamon too if you like. Cook until the pumpkin's done.
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Veggie pancakes!

Post  kat on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm

I got this recipe from the Wholesome Baby Food website, but I changed it up a bit since they recommend using a packet mix that is not available in Japan, and I didn't have any carrots in the house. But yummo - they turned out great! I know because I was eating them out of the pan.

Fast Veggie Pancakes (makes about 3 or 4)

1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1 egg
3/4 cup of milk
Diced Shiitake mushrooms
Grated zucchini
Grated cheese (cheddar, jack, colby - your choice)

Mix together the flour, egg and milk to a pancake like consistency - shouldn't be too runny or thick. Then add the mushrooms, grated zucchini and grated cheese. Fry gently in olive oil or butter until done. Be sure to let one side cook long enough that the edges have darkened - easier to flip this way.

Eat and then cut the rest of the pancakes into quarters and freeze!!

These are a great fingerfood and would work well with most veggies. I just take a quarter of the pancake out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for like 10 seconds and then cut it into little fingers!!!
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top