New Generation Ergo vs the Pikkolo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Generation Ergo vs the Pikkolo

Post  kat on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 pm

So we have both the
Ergo and the
Pikkolo - they are both soft structured carriers.

Since we don't have a car and travel using public transport (as do most people in Tokyo), baby carriers were very important from the start. Trying to lug a stroller up and down all of the stairs is just too much trouble.

The Ergo was our first soft structured carrier. Before that we used a Maya Wrap, the Moby and a couple of Hot Slings. Of course a lot also depends on your baby and what they like. Luckily Jake has liked every single carrier we own and we have carried him around since he was five days old. Very limited stroller use despite my stroller addiction...but that's a whole other post...

The lowdown is that I like both the Ergo and the Pikkolo, but I tend to reach for the Ergo more often because of the front pocket and sleep hood as I need it to get Jake to sleep if we are out (it blocks out his vision and allows him to shut down). That being said my husband uses the Pikkolo exclusively. I find that carriers are similar to strollers in that no one carrier is going to be perfect for every situation. Just for your information we still only really use the front facing in position and have only used the back carry a few times so far.

Ergo pros

* well made, sturdy with easy to use buckles
* great sleep hood
* all in one piece so there are no extra bits to be lost when you take it off
* love the front pocket
* reasonable price

Ergo cons

* sits low on hips so it can be hard to use the loo etc or reach into your pockets
* made in China (but then so much stuff is.....)
* the owners seem mean

Pikkolo pros

* Can be used front facing forward
* more comfortable and less bulky straps that can be worn crossed
* worn around the natural waist so again it is not as bulky as the ergo and you can reach your pockets easily
* cuter colours and patterns. I'm liking flame
* made in the USA

Pikkolo cons

* no front pocket
* detachable sleep hood that doesn't provide as much coverage, which is fine if you don't need to block out your baby's vision to get them to sleep
* buckles are not as easy to use as the ergo (so we actually replaced ALL of the buckles ourselves)
* more expensive than the ergo (since it is made in the USA)

That's all I can think of right now. But I will add if I think of anything else. Do you have anything to add about these two carriers???
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Ergo

Post  amylou on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 am

Just a few thoughts on the Ergo (haven't used a Pikkolo)

PROS:

It does have an infant insert so it can be used with smaller babes in a side sitting position, which is pretty cosy and a nice way to carry small infants.

CONS:

Doesn't fit larger people that well- my husband is pretty big and it barely will strap on him, much less leave room for the baby. They say the waist belt is up to 45" and he is a 38. You can buy the extender though.

Infant insert is a little tricky to get baby into- kind of end up stuffing them down in there and can be hard to adjust.
amylou

View user profile http://www.murpmayhem.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Generation Ergo vs the Pikkolo

Post  pnksweater on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:12 pm

We started with the Ergo plus infant insert for Olive (since the Hot sling's infant position created fountains of spit up). My husband chose it and it worked well until Olive was too long to fold comfortably into the insert. It was around 4 months. She couldn't yet fit comfortably legs out, and her neck was still a little wobbly. Plus she loves to stand so much we had a heck of a time getting her to sit down while getting her into the carrier. So we bought the pikkolo since the width is adjustable and it's put on apron style- so no stuffing the baby into the carrier.

Ergo Pros:
Comprehensive instructional DVD
Product and accessories are available locally
Manly look appeals to husbands
Pocket on front can hold diaper change/spit up cloth easily

Ergo Cons:
Straps are really wide- harder for those with narrow shoulder to wear comfortably
Hip belt is huge and rides very low, pushing post baby pants to plumber limits
Very little fabric and color choice
Width of carrier necessitates waiting until six or more months for baby to use carrier without insert.

We still use the Ergo, especially for back carries. The wide waist strap really makes it easy to carry a heavy child. However 99% of the time we load Olive into the Pikkolo. I find the straps much faster to fasten and unfasten. And Olive really enjoys the seating position it allows.

Pikkolo Pros:
Fancy memory foam in shoulder straps provides comfort with a low profile
Crossing back straps makes a more comfortable carry for us narrow shouldered gals
The colors and prints are very nice, downright stylish
The width of carrier is adjustable to fit even tiny new babies in upright position.

Pikkolo Cons:
I had to go to the Seattle area to find a shop that carried them
More expensive
No pockets
The sleep hood is a little lame.

Of course you can never have enough baby carriers. Now that Olive is traveling in the Burly bike trailer I pack the Hot Sling along. She likes it fine now that she's got the strength for the hip carry. I also take it to the grocery store so that when we get to the check out line I can take her out of the cart and pop her into the sling. She's less likely to fuss this way.

Now that Olive's passed the 20 lb mark I'm also looking for a wrap for a high back carry... anyone here happy with their back carrying device?
pnksweater

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kat on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Ooh my husband wants a Burly bike trailer, but I think we might wait until we are in Australia since I'm not sure it is the safest on narrow Japanese streets!! Although we have seen a guy that totes around his dogs in a Burly trailer.

We have started using back carry with the Ergo and the Pikkolo a lot more since J has surpassed 21 pounds/9.5 kilograms and also because my husband has started to lose the natural curve of his spine!!!! Doc says it'll come back but he has to mix up his babywearing positions.

J likes back carry but if he gets tired then we have to switch to front carry and now in either front or back carry he leans out A LOT and demands that we stop and look at stuff, which is cute mostly, but the leaning can be uncomfortable. High back carry interests me, but from the research I've done it's a pretty uncomfortable position (not ergonomical) for the carrier. I really don't want to get a frame carrier either. Hmmm....I guess as he gets bigger he'll be able to see more.
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pnksweater on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:26 pm

We went with the Burly Solo because it's much more comfortable if you're riding on narrow trails or along side car traffic. Chariot (a Canadian trailer company) also makes many of its models in single passenger sizes.
pnksweater

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top