Cooking with cow's milk?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cooking with cow's milk?

Post  kat on Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:11 am

So I bought a pretty comprehensive Japanese book about giving babies solids mainly for some recipes using local ingredients like fish, etc. It's really great, but many of the recipes use cow's milk.

Is this ok?

It specifies that, of course, cow's milk shouldn't be offered as a drink but they say it's ok to use milk in cooking when it is heated.
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cooking with cow's milk?

Post  pixiepurls on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:43 am

I still breastfeed 3 times a day, but my doc said I could give BG cows milk at our 9 month appointment, but again I don't use formula so that may be why I got to do it then vs formula. I would think it's fine to cook with cow's milk, but I only use organic milk for BG and for our whole family.

pixiepurls

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  floatingworld on Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi there,
The baby health centre here in Sydney said the same thing - not to give cows milk as a drink or to replace BM / formula until 12 months, but that it's okay to use it in cooking from 8 months on. Apparently full fat is best, and organic can be good for babies with a family history of allergies.
Has Jake tried any cheese or yoghurt yet?
floatingworld

View user profile http://floatingworld.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kat on Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:11 pm

Ah that's good to know. There are so many differences between western/Japanese thought when it comes to baby stuff. I'm sure that all babies grow up fine, but it's nice to be sure.

Jake has had plain yoghurt - I usually add some cooked oatmeal, wheat germ and some flaxseed oil - and he really loves it, but we haven't tried cheese yet. We usually have red cheddar in the fridge, but do you think that's too strong. I guess there is only one way to find out. And do you just serve the cheese as a finger food mostly? Melted cheese seems like it would be a bit of a choking hazard??
kat
Admin

View user profile http://www.pinkurocks.com

Back to top Go down

re: cooking with cow's milk

Post  wongtown on Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:42 am

We started with finely grated cheese as a finger food and then graduated to "toasted cheese"--a slice of cheddar melted onto wheat bread in the toaster oven. I added butter or mayo to that to get even more fat into Maia! You may be surprised by your boy's taste buds--Maia LOVED strong flavors even as an infant!
wongtown

View user profile Http://www.greatwhitewong.com/sassystitchess

Back to top Go down

Post  putyourflareon on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:01 pm

As you know, we live in France and this is like the dairy capitol. A country that boasts to have more than 300 cheeses, Max is going to get his dairy. I started giving him plain yogurt around 8 month old. He ate plain and loved it. I used organic, full fat cow's milk to make his dishes like mashed potatoes and would mix in a bit with pasta when I'd puree it for him. He has been eating cheese since he was 9 months old, first in small slivers and now he he eats huge chunks. I think if you watch Jake when he eats cheese it won't be a choking hazzard. Usually if he eats something that's too big he'll gag it up, it's a naturally reflex. Just don't put too much out for him to stuff in his mouth... But as you introduce things do it slowly to see if he is allergic but if you or Darin are not allergic to dairy there is little change Jake will be as well.
putyourflareon

View user profile http://www.putyourflareon.blogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top